Thursday, October 11, 2012

Why I love Fall, Reason Number 918

Fall is one of my favorite seasons. I love it all. The cooler weather, the leaves changing colors and the excitement of the upcoming holiday season.

The cooler weather always makes me want to cook hearty meals and bake stuff that makes my house smell heavenly. It doesn't take much to get me in the mood to cook. I'll take any reason to make home made treats and yummy desserts. We had an awesomely hot summer here, but I'm so ready for the cooler temps.

I just recently found out that according to eatpasta.org , October is National Pasta Month. We love pasta here so I decided to make a yummy Ziti goulash yesterday. And let me tell you, it turned out great and was really delish!

I also made some home made cheddar and garlic biscuits. Secretly, I maybe only made the Ziti so I would have an excuse to make yummy biscuits. They are so easy to make, and taste just like my favorite restaurant ones. I make them from scratch, so my recipe doesn't include any Bisquick mix.

The recipe I use is:

2 1/2 cups flour
2 Tbsp. baking powder
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. garlic powder
1 cup butter
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
¾ cup cold milk

First, I mix all the dry ingredients. Then, I use a tool called a pastry or dough blender to cut the butter into the mix. Then I add the cheese.

photo_zps3d5784b7

The milk comes next, and then I use my big spoon to make dough balls on my cooking sheet.

photo2_zpseecb9cc3

Cook at 400 for about 15 minutes. I check on them, and when they are looking almost done, I take them out and brush some melted garlic butter on top. Then its back into the oven until they are golden brown.

photo1_zpsbe1a1900

They taste so good. I could eat these with every meal but then I'd probably have to buy new clothes and who has money for that? My recipe makes 16 biscuits. I double bag them in freezer bags, and save whats left for the next time I get a craving for yummy garlic goodness.

Please do not judge me by my crappy photos. A photographer I am not!

No comments:

Post a Comment